Lynette Lee is a senior at Southern New Hampshire University where she studies history and historical fiction. Pursuing a Bachelors’ Degree in History, Lynette hopes to bring more realism to historical fiction. Currently, she is working on a collection of short stories and poems. But she is also working on her first novel, Captured. You can contact her at authorlynettelee84@gmail.com or on her site at https://jenikirby.wixsite.com/authorlynettelee84
Sunday, April 2, 2017
Unleashing Creativity: How I Became a Historical Fiction Writer
My love for history started when I was eight-years-old and grew into a full-blown hobby. In the fall of 2013, I decided to make a career from my passion. I enrolled at Southern New Hampshire University to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in History, online. I never thought, nor did I ever dream of becoming a historical fiction writer. All I ever wanted was to become a famous historian. So, how did I end up pursuing a historical fiction career too? It found me.
Southern New Hampshire created a social media website to help online students connect with each other. But most importantly, SNHU wanted to make us feel part of their physical campus; therefore, they created our online campus called “Connect." Here, I met interesting people from all walks of life. From historians to English and Creative Writing majors, I found online students that held the same ideals and passions as me. But like many connections, some of us grew outside of Connect and found an "after-school hangout," Facebook. Out of twenty or so people, I was the only one that was a history major, the only one that didn’t have a passion for creative writing, the only one that wrote stories just for fun.
After a year, I formed two major passions, which consumes the majority of my time. I won’t have it any other way. I love historical research. Plus, through my fiction works, I can travel back in time and experience the past. Every historian dreams of traveling back in time to experience the past. I do just that with my writing. Word has become my time-travel machine. My imagination is my map - the plugin that guides me to whatever historical period or event I want to explore. Thus, I am living out my dreams and enjoying every bit of it.
Lynette Lee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment